Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) rarely known Decree to the Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem

The Armenian Patriarchate was established in Jerusalem almost 2,000 years ago. Many Armenians accepted Christianity after going on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 301 AD. They had built a part of Sourp Hagop Convent in 420 AD. By the sixth Century, Armenians had constructed 66 religious institutions in Jerusalem. In 626 AD, the Armenian Patriarch Apraham of Jerusalem went to Mecca with a delegation of 40 prominent Armenians to meet Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). His aim was to secure protection against the spread of Islam. Dr Harboyan has reported that the Prophet welcomed Armenian guests with affection and respect. The Armenian delegation expressed its submission to Prophet, willingness for cooperation and sought his protection. 

At the end of the meeting, Prophet Muhammad issued a decree which stated: “I, Muhammad, the son of Abdallah, Prophet and servant of God, I pay my respect to Patriarch Apraham, I honor him and all archbishops, bishops, and priests in Jerusalem, Damascus, and Arab regions, in other words, those people who who are subject to Jerusalem, such as Ethiopians, Copts, and Assyrians. I recognize and guarantee their monasteries, churches, educational centers, properties and lands. I, Prophet Muhammad, with the witness of God, and the 30 people around me, I grant my patronage and protection, and I dispense my mercy to the Armenian churches, wherever they may be, throughout Jerusalem, the Holy Tomb of Christ, Sourp Hagop Church, Bethlehem Church, all prayer houses, monasteries, Golgotha road, and the holy sites. I also secure and ensure that my protection also extends to Christian hills, valleys and Christian income-generating institutions. I declare all of this in my name as Prophet and in the name of my Muslim faithful”.

Thus, the Prophet’s decree became the first official document confirming the status of the Armenian Patriarchate in Jerusalem. It was confirmed in the decrees issued by Caliph Omar, Caliph Ali, Salahuddin Ayubi and Ottoman Sultan Selim after they liberated Jerusalem.

Reference:

https://armenianweekly.com/2018/09/14/prophet-muhammads-rarely-known-decree/

 

  

Comments

Popular Posts